Family dentistry is a specialized field of dentistry that focuses on the needs of children, adolescents, and adults. Family dentists provide a wide range of services and also address the preventive needs of their patients and educate them on how to maintain a healthy oral cavity.
Most importantly, family dentists are trained to treat the whole family.
What Services Do Family Dentists Provide?
- Family dentists provide a wide range of services that cater to the oral health needs of the entire family.
- They are often the first point of contact for patients who have any oral concerns.
- They also perform routine procedures like teeth cleaning and scaling, cavity prevention, and tooth extraction.
- Family dentists also provide cosmetic treatments like teeth whitening and sealant application.
- If you have any dental concerns for your child or teenager, you can consult a family dentist for advice or treatment.
What Are Some of the Major Benefits of Family Dentistry?
There are many benefits of choosing a family dentist:
1. Preventive Care
Family dentists provide preventive care services like teeth cleaning, fluoride application, and X-rays to their patients. These services help maintain good oral health in children and adults in the family.
2. Treats Tooth Decay
Apart from preventive care, family dentists also treat tooth decay in children and adults by providing options like dental fillings or extractions if necessary. They also provide instructions on how to maintain good oral hygiene after treating tooth decay.
3. Treats Oral Ailments
Family dentists can treat common oral conditions like cavities or toothaches. They also provide emergency care services in case of severe injuries that involve the mouth or teeth.
4. Treats Sleep Apnea
Family dentists can provide oral appliance therapy to treat sleep apnea in children and adults who suffer from this condition. Oral appliances are required to keep the airway open while sleeping and control the severity of sleep apnea symptoms in patients.
5. Treats TMJ Syndrome
TMJ syndrome is caused by an abnormal bite, which leads to jaw pain in children and adults. The condition can be treated by a family dentist using a bite splint that realigns the jaw and brings it back into its correct position to relieve TMJ symptoms in patients.
To know more, call us at (317) 552-2101 and schedule an appointment to visit our dental practice in Indianapolis, IN.